Monday, February 4, 2013

Week Twenty-Six


So I didn't send out an email last week because it was Chirstmas Eve, so there should be alot this week, but I am not promising, we will see how it goes.
 
The week before chirstmas was not a very busy week.  Here in Germany, or atleast here in Hagen, everyone is super nice around Chirstmas, but they don't want to meet, or they are out of town.  For that reason, we have had a lot of time to knock on doors.  Which is how we spent a majority of our time the week before Chirstmas, mixed in with a few appointments.  The three real big highlights of last week started on thursday.
 
First, we had an amazing appointment with an investigator named Merhawi.  I am not sure if I have talked about Merhawi before, but he is an investigator from Aritria (or something like that) Africa.  He had been an eternity investigator in Dortmund, but he recently moved out to Hagen, and for the past two months we have been meeting with him.  Well about 2 weeks ago, we had a way good lesson on prayer.  I wasn't really sure where we were supposed to go after that, he has been taught so much, and his interest was more in the missionaries than what we were actually saying. The entire week between our lessons I could only think about how we needed to teach baptism, he had said he was already taught that alot, but for some reason, we just needed to teach it.  Well... We got to our lesson, and he got super serious and told us that he had been praying every day, and that he feels a huge difference in his life, and he would like to pray in front of us... Wow!  And then as we were talking about baptism, he just kept saying, "it all makes sense"  and then at the end of the lesson, he said he wanted to get baptised, it is the right thing for him.  I love Merhawi!  He is just the coolest guy, and then when we had our lesson with him this week, he told us that he just wants us to teach him all the commandments so he can change his life, because he wants to do everything he can to prepare for baptism.  I am so excited for him.  That was Highlight number 1.
 
Second, came to us on Friday.  We spent a big chunk of the day cooking on Friday.  We have problems getting appointments with a couple investigators, so I figured we could make them pies and that would give us a good excuse to go over and wish them a Merry Chirstmas.  So on friday, we made 5 French Silk Pies.... 5..... It was a long day in the kitchen, and I have never seen so much butter and sugar in my life.  But they all turned out great, or atleast edible.  But while we were baking, a man came and rung our doorbell.  That doesn't happen often as a missionary, so naturaly we were way exited and rushed to the door, only to find an internet and telephone salesman.... But he wasn't a very good salesman, because instead of getting us to buy anything, he ended up leaving with an appointment to meet with us in the church and talk about the gospel. I just thought that was the perfect way to do doors, reverse way.  Wait for them to come to you.  Haha. 
 
Third, last but definitly not least.  On Saturday, we were able to go to Dortmund to watch a baptism for Stefan Bond.  Stefan was an investigator in Dortmund, but was found here in Hagen, on my first day in Germany.  Elder Butcher and I found him while walking through Hagen one day, and it was increadible to see how we, Heavenly Fathers Children, are part of His wonderful plan.  He called us in Hagen earlier in the week and asked if I could be one of the witnesses for the baptism, SO COOL!  He remembered us!  He said there we two missionaries who talked to him on the street, one who had great german, and one who couldn't speak at all (me :))  It was an increadible experience and I am so thankful that I could be apart of this increadible work.
 
That was pretty much the end of the week before Christmas, a normal week, but as always, had its highlights.  As much as I love Christmas, I am kinda thankful that Chirstmas week is over....  It is so stressful as a missionary, becasue you have a million member invites, and you cant be late, because it is all like super family traditions, and the buses and trains travel like never, needless to say, we litterally ran alot this week.
 
It started off with the best Christmas present EVER!  Being able to skype with my family.  I just want to take this time to say that I love my family so much, I miss you guy, but I know that there is no where in the world I would rather be that here in Germany helping these people find the truth. 
 
So in Germany, Chirstmas is too special to only celebrate in one day, so there is Heilig Abend (Christmas eve) then 1st Christmas day (25th) and 2nd Christmas day (26th).  I dont know why we don't do that in America, it is like the best thing ever.  But it meant that we were running around visiting members for all three days.  It was alot of fun, but when thursday finally rolled around, I was glad to just have a normal day of missionary work.
 
The rest of the week when by normal, everyone is still out of town till after the new year, so it was kinda slow.  But I am hoping that this week everything will be completely back to normal.  There is so much work here in Hagen to be done, that I need all the time I can get.  I feel like I can see the end of my days here in Hagen... I have almost been here 6 months, so it is time to get work done.
 
One thing that I have been thinking about alot lately is how much our Heavenly Father loves us.  I never really thought about it much before my mission.  I always grew up thinking, good, but could have been better.  Not exactly hard on myself, but just always having higher expectations.  I think for this reason, I have never really felt the pure love of my Heavenly Father.  I always knew He loved me, but there is a joy that comes throught realization of how perfect this love is.  For me, this came through others.  It was while serving others, and focusing on the needs of others, that I felt how much our Heavenly Father really loves every one of us, and not only loves us, but needs to see us happy.  As a missionary, I have had the opportunity to love complete stranges unconditionally, and at sometimes unknowingly.  It is something I can not completly discribe, but all I could possibly relate it to, would be the pure love of our Heavenly Father. I am so greatfull for this opportunity to serve and grow, I know that my Heavenly Father loves me, He knows me, and there is a love there, that could never possibly be fully comprehended, but on occations, we can feel it through serving others.
 
Viele Liebe,
 
Elder Blackley

No comments:

Post a Comment